By Jean Jones
LAWRENCE TWP. - The explosion that damaged a Cedarville Road home on Friday was caused by an exploding propane tank in the basement, according to Cedarville Fire Chief Brian Scarlato
The fire call came at 11:38 a.m.
"The basement was fully involved when the firefighters got there, Scarlato said Friday night.
"The rest of the house was damaged by heat and smoke.
Christine Morris was at home when the blast occurred, but escaped uninjured.
Her three children were at school at the time.
"The fire was under control in 39 minutes, but there was a lot of overhaul that had to be done in the basement, Scarlato said.
Firefighters remained on the scene for seven hours working on the basement and waiting for the Cumberland County fire marshal and representatives of the Department of Community Affairs fire safety division and the state police arson and bomb unit to arrive.
Also at the scene were Downe Township Fire Rescue No. 1 and companies from Fairton, Bridgeton and Rosenhayn.
Forty firefighters were involved. None was injured.